Legal Help For Domestic Abuse Victims – Knowing Your Rights
August 2, 2021

Legal help for domestic abuse victims – knowing your rights

Domestic abuse can be a difficult subject to broach for anyone, and knowing how to get help for domestic abuse can be a challenge. However, if you are seeking domestic violence legal help, there are some things you need to be aware of beforehand. Read on to find out more.

What Is Deemed As Domestic Abuse?

Domestic abuse covers physical and sexual abuse, as well as psychological and emotional abuse. Violent and threatening behaviour is also included under this umbrella, as is controlling or coercive behaviour. You may also be experiencing economic (financial) abuse, which is also considered domestic abuse.

Getting Help

There is help for domestic abuse victims. If you are a victim, you should seek help whenever you feel you can. Seek refuge with family, friends or anywhere you would be safe from your abuser. You should also report the abuse to the police and make strides towards legal help for domestic abuse victims. It is also possible to reach out to a charity or organisation to get support with all of this and more.

Your Legal Rights

As a domestic abuse victim, you have certain legal rights. You can apply for a civil court order to prevent your abuser from being able to hurt or harass you. This could include getting an injunction – if this feels overwhelming, you can seek legal advice domestic violence victims need. You must seek emergency or temporary accommodation as soon as possible, as the law can protect your children, and family courts can support you in these arrangements.

Reaching Out

There are so many resources that you can reach out to in order to support you during this difficult time, including domestic abuse online help and numbers to call such as Refuge’s National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247 and the Men’s Advice Line on 0808 801 0327.

You can also use the Bright Sky app, which you can use if you are experiencing domestic abuse or are concerned about a loved one.

Women’s aid local support services are also available across the UK; you can make contact through their directory or by emailing

Victim Support runs a service for survivors of abuse, whether or not you can report your abuse, at 08 08 16 89 111.

If you need help in person, look for the ‘Ask for ANI’ logo in a pharmacy. ‘ANI’ stands for Action Needed Immediately, and this means that if you ask for ‘ANI’ they will take you into a private area where you can make calls, contact the police, or get in touch with other domestic abuse services.

Get In Touch

If you are looking for legal help with your domestic abuse case, get in touch with Bowsers Solicitors. We provide family law, domestic violence services and more. Let us know how we can support you.

Picture Source: Unsplash