It is recommended to have a Lasting Power of Attorney in place as you get older – if you become incapable of handling your own affairs, an Attorney that you have already personally chosen will be there to take over all your important matters.
But there are many reasons that Lasting Power of Attorney may come to an end. Whether you choose to end it by revoking it, or a non-enduring LPA simply comes to an end, the circumstances in which an LPA ends are numerous. To find out how you may be affected, let’s run through the most common scenarios.
1. LPA Coming To A Natural End
A Lasting Power of Attorney may end automatically in a number of scenarios:
- If your chosen Attorney passes away or becomes mentally incompetent themselves, then the LPA will end.
- If your Attorney is your partner and your relationship legally comes to an end, so does the LPA.
- If your LPA surrounds property ownership and your Attorney becomes bankrupt or a Debt Relief Order comes up, the LPA ends.
- If your Attorney is found unfit and is removed by the Courts, your LPA ends.
2. Deciding To End An LPA Yourself
You may choose that your Lasting Power of Attorney should come to an end and execute that yourself.
- If you are found mentally capable of handling your own decisions, you may revoke your LPA
- If you no longer wish to have your current Attorney in place, you can choose to change that, and in doing so, end your LPA.
- If your Attorney is unwell, or you suspect they may otherwise be unable to oversee your affairs for you, you may wish to end the LPA.
- If your Attorney no longer lives close enough to you, you can end your LPA.
To revoke your LPA, you must write a deed of revocation. When your LPA is dissolved, your Attorney(s) will also be notified.
Contact Us For Lasting Power of Attorney help
In conclusion, you can end an LPA and we recommend you have a legal expert oversee the process, particularly if you have lost your Attorney. Please contact us for our specialist services and a member of our team will be able to assist you.
Image Source: Canva