What is Stamp Duty?
November 2, 2020

What is Stamp Duty?When buying a property, one of the terms that often causes confusion is Stamp Duty. Despite this, it is actually one of the easiest to explain. Put simply, Stamp Duty is a tax that you must pay when purchasing a property or a piece of land in England or Northern Ireland.

Under normal circumstances, buyers pay stamp duty on all homes worth more than £125,000 but the government has temporarily raised the threshold in an effort to stimulate the housing market during the COVID-19 pandemic. Until the end of March 2021, Stamp Duty only applies to properties worth more than £500,000, making this a great time to buy a house.

How Much is Stamp Duty?

Until the 31st March 2021, the Stamp Duty rates are as follows:

Properties worth less than £500,000 – 0%

Properties worth £500,001 to £925,000 – 8%

Properties worth £925,001 to £1.5million – 10%

Properties worth over £1.5 million – 12%

It is worth noting that you only pay Stamp Duty on the portion of the property worth more than the threshold. For example, if a property is worth £600,000, you do not have to pay 8% of its total value. The property is worth £100,000 more than the threshold, so your Stamp Duty would be 8% of £100,000 (£8,000).

How Much is Stamp Duty for a Second Home?

The Stamp Duty on second homes and some buy to let properties is an extra 3%. This applies to all properties worth more than £40,000, even under the temporary rates. This means that, until 31st March 2021, second homes worth between £40,000 and £500,000 will incur a Stamp Duty of 3%, and then 3% must be added to each of the bands for properties worth over £500,000. For example, a second home costing £600,000 would carry a Stamp Duty of 8% + 3% for a total of 11%.

Ask the Experts

Buying a house is never easy, and things are even trickier than usual at the moment. From Stamp Duty to conveyancing issues, there is a lot to think about at once. If it all starts to feel a bit overwhelming, don’t hesitate to give us a call. Our friendly, experienced team can help with all aspects of legal work surrounding house buying, making the whole process as painless as possible. Give us a call today to get started.

Image source: Pixabay